Available Liferay flavours
- Liferay Community Edition is generally called Liferay 7 .
- Liferay Enterprise Edition is generally called Liferay DXP .
Latest Technical Framework
- JDK 8
- Tomcat 8
- Mysql 5.7
- Liferay IDE 3
The Big One : Modularity - OSGi
- Overall design has changed from Monolithic to Micro services
- Changing the DXP / L7 is quite easy now as we can override the liferay modules with our own modules.
- Liferay Module Framework
- Now 500+ new modules out of box available .
- Apache Felix as OSGi Container
- Declarative Services
- Bndtools for runtime dependency management
- Gogo Shell for managing the module lifecycle
- Semantic Versioning
- Blade Tool/Blade CLI for project templates
- New Forms user experience
- Geolocate any content
- Audience Targeting
Look and Feel Changes
- Lexicon Design Language
- Fluid and extensible
- Optimized product navigation
- New image, file and media selector
- Fast response - avoiding full page refreshes
- Single Page Applications – supported through senna.js
Other Major Changes
- Lucene Gone, Elastic Search is supported now (Available in Liferay bundle but recommended as a Separate Server) .
- No Ant , Gradle as new build tool (although maven is still supported)
- Node.js/Yomen/Gulp for Theme development
- New mobile SDK with Liferay screens 2
- Clustering is supported Only in EE